ESPN will honor the late Dale Earnhardt on the 20th anniversary of his death with a new documentary titled, Intimidator: The Lasting Legacy of Dale Earnhardt. It will air before the 2021 Daytona 500 at noon ET on ESPN, February 14th.
The documentary will include a revealing interview with Dale Earnhardt, Jr., who opens up about his father, what he remembers about that day 20 years ago, and how safety in the sport has evolved.
In addition to Dale Jr, the following were also interviewed for the special:
- Seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson.
- NASCAR driver Ryan Newman, who survived a spectacular crash in last year’s Daytona 500.
- Former NASCAR driver Kyle Petty.
- Dr. Steve Bohannon, a physician who was one of the first to reach Earnhardt’s wrecked car.
- Mike Helton, NASCAR Vice Chairman, who announced Earnhardt’s death.
- Steve Phelps, NASCAR President.
- Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR Executive Vice President Chief Racing Development Officer.
- John Patalak – NASCAR Senior Director of Safety Engineering.
- Mike Massaro, former ESPN reporter who covered 2001 Daytona 500.
Bruce Alan Bennett / Shutterstock.com